DIY or do it yourself. That has been the phrase of the summer! When we walked through our home for the first time, I knew we could make it something. It had good bones. It was just a matter of getting us there. Like every other human being, we have a budget, and in order to get us to our goal, we did a lot of projects ourselves. We painted, pulled out carpet, cleaned every square inch (numerous times especially after ripping up the bad carpet), and there are so many projects to go! With the completion of each task, we feel such a sense of accomplishment. I love our house. I can say that now. I couldn't always. (You wouldn't love it either when you had to clean out dirty band aids, hairs, and unidentified sauces from bathrooms and kitchens.)
Painting Abby's room while she is at VBS
I told people we are living out of trash bags. I don't think they believed me. Proof.
We all stayed in the master (except Ellie because she is a light sleeper). I wouldn't let the girls walk down the hall upstairs. It was filthy. I seriously looked like a crime scene in many of the bedrooms. We shampooed the carpet in Ellie's room before putting her crib in, and the water was black and smelled like sewage. Gross.
Abby's mattress next to ours.
That is all the toys we brought in for the girls. The carpet in the play area was shampooed, but again, it was still nasty. The pictures don't show it, though. You had to see and smell it in person.
Family room before
I didn't get a shot of the room before we painted. I should have. It was the same color as the tile on the fireplace. No thanks.
That is a project for another day. Painting that tile.
Carpet tear out begins.
Playroom(s)
The steps were the worst part.
Seriously?! Got enough staples! Adam had to use all of his strength to pull each step up.
The girls' bathroom
The night we tore up the carpet we slept in the kitchen. The next day was absolutely GLORIOUS!
See all the old rolled up carpet in the garbage? That was only a fraction of what Adam tore out and hauled out. This man is a machine.
We are in the process of adding our special touches to the home. It won't happen over night, but here is some of what we have accomplished so far. New light fixtures, furniture, and paint. I haven't hung anything yet in this space, but all in good time. My home is now clean. That is most important when you have two little girls.
More after pictures to come!!
It looks lovely Michele! Can't wait to see it!
ReplyDelete